Soupa Avgolemono (Greek Egg and Lemon Soup)
Submitted by Leo Griego
Yield: 6 portions
My introduction to Greek cuisine and one of my favorites still. Will serve 6, but is easily expandable and is quick enough to make in small batches for restaurant service and holds fairly well in a Bain Marie.
2 Qt (1.9 L) of a really good chicken consomme (flavored with a little fresh lemon thyme or lemon grass, and lemon zest), or clarified broth
3 egg yolks (you can use the whites to create your raft)
Juice of 2 lemons
1. When consomme is done remove from fire.
2. Whisk egg yolks adding the lemon juice slowly.
3. Temper the egg yolk mixture with a ladle of the consomme.
4. Add the tempered yolk mixture to the consomme.
5. Return consomme to fire and heat (do not boil) until soup is creamy and just coats the spoon.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. Enjoy! Opa! A great appetizer/soup with a richness and that citrus tang that leaves the mouth ready for more Greek cuisine! Such a variety of flavors and textures..And a little Ouzo...Opa indeed!