Author: Culinary Institute of America
Yield: 10 Servings
There are many variations of this traditional Spanish dish. Garnish with strips of roasted red peppers and serve it directly in a paella pan for an authentic presentation.
24 ounces (680g) Pork, lean, diced
2 pounds (900g) Chicken legs, cut into thighs and drumsticks
5 fluid ounces (150ml) Olive oil
3 each Garlic cloves, chopped
8 ounces (225g) Onions, small dice
8 ounces (225g) Red peppers, small dice
8 ounces (225g) Green peppers, small dice
1.5 pounds (680g) Rice, short grain
1 teaspoon (5ml) Saffron, crushed
.5 teaspoon (2.5ml) Salt
3 cups (720ml) Chicken stock, hot
20 each Clams, fresh, cleaned
20 each Mussels, fresh, cleaned
20 each Shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 ounces (225g) Chorizo, cooked and sliced
8 ounces (225g) Tomato Concasse, small dice
4 ounces (115g) Carrots, small dice
4 ounces (115g) Peas (garden)
6 ounces (170g) Nicoise olives, pitted
6 ounces (170g) Green olives, pitted
4 ounces (115g) Scallions, sliced
4 each Lemons
1. Brown the chicken and pork in the olive oil. Remove and reserve.
2. Saute the garlic, onions, and peppers in the reserved oil.
3. Add the rice, saffron and salt. Stir until the rice is coated with oil.
4. Add the stock and bring the mixture to a boil. Cover the pan and place it in a 400' (205'C) oven; cook the rice mixture for 8 minutes.
5. Place the clams and mussels on top of the rice. Check the rice periodically and add more stock or water if necessary. Replace the cover and return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes.
6. Add the shrimp, chorizo, Tomato Concasse, carrots, and peas. Return the pan to the oven and cook the paella until the shrimp is cooked through and all ingredients are very hot.
7. Garnish the paella with the olives and scallions. Drizzle with the juice of 2 lemons. Cover the paella pan and allow the paella to rest for 10 minutes. Wedge the remaining lemons and serve with the paella.
If you have a good recipe to share, or have a question about any of the techniques or ingredients mentioned in this one, please feel free to post it at our Facebook Page.
Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. -1 Cor 10:31 ESV